Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Oh, To Be Young Again

The transition that has been underway for more than a season is picking up steam. Overall, with the exception of the back end of the bullpen, the Phillies are getting younger, not older. Much younger.

Except for David Bell (33) and Abraham Nunez (30), the entire infield is in its twenties. The outfield’s older generation consists of Bobby Abreu and David Dellucci, both 32. After that, Aaron Rowand is 28; Shane Victorino, 25; Chris Roberson, 26; and Pat Burrell, already a veteran of six seasons, is 29.

Three fifths of the starting rotation are particularly young. Hamels is 22. Floyd is 23. Brett Myers is 25. Randy Wolf is only 29. The bullpen is the one area where age dominates with the exception of Ryan Madson, 25, and Geoff Geary, 29.

Mike Lieberthal and Sal Fasano are both 34, but Carlos Ruiz is 27.

Looking over the starting lineup from Sunday’s game in Cincinnati, only David Bell and Alex Gonzalez were over 30 years old as things got underway, and by day’s end Ryan Howard was back at his usual post, hitting home runs and lowering the average age.

No word on how old the Phanatic is, but we know this is at least the second generation to inhabit that outfit.

8 comments:

The Rev said...

I'll rewrite that one.

As long as there are still members of the Phillies older than me I will feel much better. I'm 34.

The days when the entire Phillies team becomes younger than me, I will be happy that they are embracing youth, but I will be sad because my youth will be gone.

Tom Goodman said...

I don't know, smokin steve, that picture you include with your posts sure looks young to me!!

GM-Carson said...

Hey, I'm trying to get linked to other Phillies' blogs. Check us out and if you like link us:
http://pabaseball.blogspot.com

Let me know if you link, we'll link you too.

The Rev said...

I like creating an image of youth. It disarms people online. They are less likely to react harshly to me if they see that cute little baby picture. It's quite a good scam, actually.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who said it first, but I've heard Larry Anderson say, "You're only young once...but you can be immature forever."

I've liked that ever since I heard him say it.

Anonymous said...

Carson, don't worry: if Charlie Manuel's wife can find you, you must already be fairly visible in the blogosphere. I have no doubt it was his wife, by the way. That ought to earn you some notoriety.

Am I the only one who thinks the Phanatic isn't just old, he's washed-up?

Tom Goodman said...

RSB: I don't think the Phanatic considers you or me part of his target audience. Just a hunch.

MRL said...

Naw the Phantic is for kids, but I like him during the games anyway. And the players being young, it doesn't hurt the team at all, as long as they play well and keep winning I'm not complaining.